Feeling more nay than yay? It might be time to support your bodies detoxification process. Although transformational, detox protocols can be time consuming and costly .. and to be honest, if you lead a healthy lifestyle rich with fruit, vegetables and minimal processed food, you may not need to go to such extremes. Which is why I have provided my ‘Daily Detox Techniques’ for those on a budget. It is filled with ancient holistic techniques to help your body naturally remove toxins without breaking the bank.
1. Tongue scrapping
Ever wondered why your tongue feels furry when you wake up … even if you have only had an hour nap?! Whilst sleeping, your body works to accumulate bacteria, food debris and toxins on your tongue. Tongue ‘scrapping’ or ‘brushing’ is a commonly overlooked Ayurvedic practice that has been around for centuries. It promises to promote fresh breathe, improve oral hygiene, clear toxins and even enhance taste buds! Plus it is super easy … simply using a tongue scrapper or the edge of a spoon, ‘scrape’ your tongue from back to front first thing in the morning. Finish by rinsing your mouth and brushing your teeth.
Top Tip: Follow up with ‘Oil Pulling’ to super charge this mouth detoxification technique.
2. Jazzed up water
Everyone knows that drinking +++ amounts of good quality, filtered water helps your body flush out toxins. However, when you have to swap a gin and tonic for a glass of fresh H2O (for the sake of your liver), it can be less than inspiring. So why not try jazzing up your water with organic fresh fruit, herbs and essential oils … and create the illusion that you are having something ‘naughty’. Not only will it taste great, but with these added extras you will super charge the detoxing properties of your aqua.
My suggestions include:
- Lavender essential oil (food grade)
- Cinnamon sticks
*Leave in for 30 minutes to allow flavours to infuse*
3. Body brushing
Most people know that their skin will absorb any toxic substance it comes into contact with, but did you know that your skin is also one of your largest detox organs?! Ever minute of everyday we lose around 30 000 to 40 000 dead skin cells, which means ‘body brushing’ is a detox for your skin! It also helps to improve lymphatic flow, detoxify, mobiles fat cells and enhance the immune system.
How to do it:
- In the morning, before jumping into the shower, strip down naked whilst still dry
- Using a natural fiber dry body brush, ‘brush’ your skin using long strokes. I use the BodeCare Deluxe Body Brush
- Ensure you are ‘brushing’ towards your heart. Brushing away from the heart will put added stress on the lymphatic system.
- Avoid any areas of sensitive skin, sunburn, cuts, rashes or inflammed skin.
4. Guasha Body Scrub
Tyler Tolman shares an ancient Egyptian practice of detoxifying and cleansing the skin using the process of guasha. Guasha is a simple technique that mixes distilled vodka and bi-carb soda to create the ultimate skin detox. It is incredibly simple and leaves your skin feeling completely rejuvenated.
How to do it:
- Buy the cheapest bottle of triple distilled VODKA & some aluminum free BI-CARB SODA
- Mix the 2 in a Jar with a lid until it’s a putty consistency.
- Have it next to you the next time you shower, turn off the water and scrub your entire body (including the face) with this putty. I usually do this for around 10 minutes.
- Turn the shower back on, rinse off and enjoy having your skin look and feel cleaner and more vibrant than it ever has before!
5. Sleep with onions on your feet
Vampires be warned, things are about to get freaky. This quirky and even comical trick has more science behind it then you might think. Onions possess an extraordinary degree of healing properties … there is a reason they feature in an array of different ‘healing’ recipes through many cultures. The phosphoric acid in onions work as a magnet to draw toxins out of the body … and because of the enormous amount of nerve endings in the soles of the feet and connection to different organ systems through ‘meridians’, placing onions on the soles of the feet can beautifully support detoxification though all of your vital organs.
How to do it:
- Peel an onion and cut it into thick ‘slices’
- Place an onion slice on the sole of each foot
- Secure in place by putting on a sock
- Sleep with your ‘onion socks’ overnight and enjoy the healing benefits
Top tip: This is a great technique to use to prevent a hang over after having one too many.
Want to know more about how to support your bodies detoxification process and reduce your exposure to environmental toxins? Join me at the ‘Low Tox Living‘ Workshop at Open Space Healing on the 8th of February 2018.
A self proclaimed ‘modern day hippie’ Dr Jacinta (The Inspired Optimist) is obsessed with all things natural, healthy and holistic living. As an integrated Chiropractor, keynote speaker, host of The Inspired Optimist Podcast and Holistic Lifestyle Coach with over 10 years in the health and wellness industry, Dr Jacinta witnesses everyday the amazing healing potential of the human body.